Middle School Counselors
(570) 226-4557 x3055
Mr. Nathan Heinly
Ms. Lauren Tenbus
Mrs. Cara Jean Dougherty
The WAMS Counselors provide the adolescents in the building with academic, career, and emotional / social support. They work closely with students, teachers and parents to make the middle school experience healthy and productive for every child. The counselors provide all students with services that include the following:
- Provide students with academic support through communication regarding their grades and progress
- Assist the Child Study Team in determining any special needs of students
- Provide emotional support to students and their parents in dealing with the demands of adolescence
- Counsel individual student with educational and personal concerns
- Work with referral agencies such as Mental Health / Mental Retardation, Children and Youth, Drug and Alcohol programs, Survivors' Resources, VIP, etc.
- Work with the North Intermediate and South Elementary in providing information and scheduling for a smooth transition to the Middle School
- Coordinate with the High School in providing all eighth graders and their parents the information to develop the student's ninth grade schedule
- Work in concert with the Student Assistance Team
- Process all enrollments and withdrawals
You may contact the School Counselors at (570)226-4557, press 9, then extension 3055
Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Middle School Student Assistance Program (SAP) Team is a specially trained group of teachers, administrators and counselors who meet several times each week throughout the school year, providing a non-disciplinary avenue of support and assistance to students and their families.
Our SAP provides a means of identifying and helping students who have challenges that may interfere with their success at school. There are many possible reasons for referral to the SAP Team, such as:
|Interpersonal Relationships||Alcoholism within Families|
|Substance Abuse||Divorce and Separation|
|Pregnancy||Grief or Loss|
The SAP Team provides a variety of services, such as faculty mentors and support groups. Our SAP Team can also facilitate access to other school and community-based supports. Services provided in school include:
|Loss & Grief Group||Anger Options Group|
|Insight Group||Family Change Group|
|Comfortable Genes Group||Healthy Relationships Group|
|The Big Chill Group||Peer Helper|
|Connections Group||Faculty Mentor|
Parent permission is required for a student to receive SAP services and involvement in SAP is both voluntary and confidential.
A student may be referred to the SAP Team by parents, peers, teachers, staff, administration, or self-referral. Additional information on SAP may be found in the Student Brochure, Support Group Flyer, and Parent Permission Form.
To make a referral to the Middle School SAP Team, fill out the SAP Referral Form and return to the Guidance Department. Referrals may also be placed in the anonymous SAP drop-boxes located in the Library and the Faculty Mail Room, or you may contact any of the SAP Team members listed below.
|Mr. Buselli||Assistant Principal|
|Mrs. Igoe||6th Grade Science/Social Studies Teacher|
|Mrs. Olsheski||School Nurse|
|Mr. Miller||Reading Teacher|
|Mr. Hannon||8th Grade Science Teacher|
|Mrs. McCue||English as a Second Language Teacher|
|Mr. McHugh||8th Grade Math Teacher|
|Mr. Pittsman||Emotional Support Teacher|
|Mrs. Dougherty||School Counselor|